Our partner sites are always looking for dedicated volunteers. Below are a couple of organizations that have recently put out requests based on their specific needs. Volunteering is a terrific way to support our area’s heritage and preservation community!
Annapolis Maritime Museum
The Annapolis Maritime Museum & Park (AMM) is dedicated to educating students and adults on the area’s rich maritime heritage and the ecology of the Chesapeake Bay.
Want to learn more? AMM is holding a Volunteer Open House on February 21, 2022 from 4:00-6:00PM in the Museum’s Bay Room (723 Second St, Annapolis). Meet volunteer captains, enjoy beverages and light fare, and learn how you can use your skills and passion to give back to your local community.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Special Events/Fundraisers – Annapolis Oyster Roast & Sock Burning/Boatyard Beach Bash: Guest Check-in, Setup/Cleanup (1-day commitment)
- Concert Series – Tides and Tunes (10 concerts) & September Sunsets (4 concerts): Guest Check-in, Setup/Cleanup
- Docent/Tour Guide: Check-in and greet visitors, provide tours, ring up merchandise (Shifts available Tuesday-Sunday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.)
- Wooden Boat Crew: restore/repair wooden boat exhibits (Days vary in warmer months.)
- Gardening Team: maintain grounds of the Museum (Days vary in warmer months.)
- Education Programs: assist in educating school children at both campuses (Days vary year-round. Mostly mornings.)
- Grounds Crew at Ellen O. Moyer Nature Park: Landscaping projects, trail restoration & general gardening (Days vary in warmer months.)
- Skipjack Wilma Lee: Guide Tours, Maintenance, Sailing Crew
- Administrative Support: Filing, Correspondence, Organizing (During normal business hours.)
- Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse: Guide Tours, Maintenance (Saturdays & Sundays, June-October, Weather Permitting)
- Archives & Oral History: Interviewing, Editing Transcripts (Flexible daytime hours.)
No pre-registration is required for the open house. Current volunteers will be on hand to discuss all opportunities at this event. Those who are unable to attend but are interested in volunteering can email [email protected] or visit amaritime.org/support/volunteer to fill out an interest form.
Chesapeake Children’s Museum
The mission of Chesapeake Children’s Museum (CCM) is to create an environment of discovery about oneself, the peoples, the technologies, and the ecology of the Chesapeake Bay area for all our children and for the children in us all.
Events are currently virtual, but volunteers are needed to help CCM as it gears up to opening its doors to visitors again! Considering serving in the one of the following volunteer positions.
- Publicity: Volunteer to promote CCM’s events and needs on social media and to the press
- Creative Team: Volunteer to produce Friday morning Story Times for Facebook and Youtube
- Exhibit Maintenance: Volunteer to refresh indoor exhibit areas – touch up painting, launder and mend costumes, make signs in English and Spanish
- Trail Maintenance: Volunteers are needed to maintain trails, add concrete stepping stones with mosaic tile designs, design and or construct interactive signs about the natural world, example: local birds
- Grant Writer: Volunteer to be on the lookout for pertinent funding opportunities, help write grant applications, track expenses and write follow up reports
Contact [email protected] to volunteer or for more information.
If you’re looking for something different, be sure to check out the websites of our Four Rivers Heritage Area Attractions. Whether you’re interested in environmental preservation, historical interpretation, or arts education there’s an organization that can use your help. Thanks for being part of our heritage area!