Odenton Heritage Society Site is Placed on the National Register of Historic Places – Celebration on Sunday, Sept. 4
On Sunday, September 4, the Odenton Heritage Society will celebrate the placing of the 1912 Old Masonic Hall on the list of the National Register of Historic Places. The Society is also proud to celebrate 20 years in its restored headquarters and Historical Center. Reflecting the building’s current education mission and its significance as a centerpiece of the Odenton Historic District, the Society will give tours of the building and offer the first five visitors a CD copy of the 2016 book Odenton Historic District: Architectural Survey and Evaluation, which includes color photographs and descriptions of every building in the district.
Also, the Society will open a new museum display with never-before-seen artifacts from the Murray cannery, once the town’s largest local employer. Big business came to Odenton in the late 19th century with the Pennsylvania Railroad and the cannery, which stood near the railroad and the Murray residence. Packing locally grown tomatoes and other fruits and vegetables, and shipping them through Odenton’s two railroad junctions, the Murray cannery exemplified business initiatives that combined farming, volume processing, and rail transportation to feed an ever-growing population while offering variety and long shelf life with canned goods.
Hours on September 4th are from 1 pm to 4 pm. The Center is located at 1367 Odenton Road, one block west of Piney Orchard Parkway. Admission is free.