The Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) is administering up to $40 million of the Governor’s $50 million Nonprofit Recovery Initiative (NORI). The remaining nonprofit funding will be administered by the Maryland Department of Commerce.
Of the $40 million being administered by DHCD, up to $30 million will be for nonprofits whose mission and work is focused on the economic development and economic recovery of Maryland communities as well as those nonprofits that focus on the health and human services and housing of underserved Maryland populations.
Applicants from heritage organizations must ensure you describe your economic development and recovery role on the application in order to avoid disqualification.
Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) Applicant Eligibility Criteria:
To be eligible to apply, a nonprofit must meet all of the following criteria:
- Must be a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization
- Organizations that are in good standing with the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation (SDAT)
- Organizations based in Maryland that serve Maryland communities and populations (through the focus areas of economic development and economic recovery or health and human services or housing)
- Organizations with 50 or fewer employees (full time equivalents) as of March 1, 2020
- Organizations with annual revenues of less than $5 million
- Organizations that can demonstrate the negative financial impact of COVID-19 as represented by reduced operating revenue or increased operating expenses
- Financially viable nonprofits whose operations will continue forward
The maximum grant request amount is $50,000 and the minimum amount is $5,000 based on the organization’s annual operating budget.
The application portal closes at 12:00 noon, Wednesday, July 29 at the latest; the portal may close if or when grant requests exceed available funding. Funding announcements on a rolling basis beginning no later than Wednesday, August 19.
For information and details on the application process and requirements, visit Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) NOTICE OF FUNDING AVAILABILITY: Maryland Nonprofit Recovery Initiative (NORI).
Regionally-assigned DHCD team leaders can help you. For quickest response, use the following email contact information:
Maryland Department of Commerce NORI Information:
Up to $8 million will be administered via the Maryland Department of Commerce to nonprofits that have already applied for their Covid-19 Emergency Grant Program but were not able to be funded in the earlier round.
For more information on commerce’s program, contact COVID-19 Emergency Grant Program Applications at [email protected]
$3 million will be administered via the Maryland Arts Council, based in Commerce, for arts and cultural organizations affected by Covid-19 impacts. In response to the COVID-19 State of Emergency, the Maryland State Arts Council (MSAC) has created special grant opportunities that provide emergency funding to arts organizations and artists in Maryland as they adjust to losses sustained because of programming, operations, and events that have been modified or cancelled.
For more information on the Arts Council program, contact Dana Parsons at [email protected]
These funds are limited and anticipated to run out quickly, so be sure to apply as soon as possible!