Before the current installation at the Museum, “Annapolis, An American Story,” the Museum featured the outstanding exhibit, “Freedom Bound.” Join Kat Spitzer from Visit Annapolis as she leads a tour of the “Freedom Bound” exhibit at the Historic Annapolis Museum:
(a previous exhibit to the museum).
In the mid-18th century, two tobacco warehouses and a tobacco prize stood on this property owned by the Carroll and Dulany families. In 1784, the property was sold to William Wilkins, a merchant who resided on-site and used the warehouses for storage and a shop. On January 21, 1790, a disastrous fire destroyed the entire block (to include the building at 99 Main Street). By 1816, George and John Barber built a new store and warehouse on the foundation of the original building. In 1846, another fire destroyed the interior of the building, including the third story.
Restored in 1974 to resemble the c. 1816 structure, the building represents a rare surviving example of early 19th century commercial architecture in Annapolis. The three-bay front with the central door incorporates six-over-nine windows on the first floor and six-over-six on the second.
77 Main Street now houses the Historic Annapolis Museum Store, where you can find housewares, hostess gifts, children’s toys, and more.
Hours & Admission
Monday – Saturday: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Sunday: 12 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Extended evening hours to 8 p. m. on Fridays and Saturdays, May through December
Free Admission; Donations welcome.
Telephone: (410) 267 6656
Address: 77 Main Street
Annapolis, MD 21401
Annapolis' Golden Age, Preservation, Virtual Experiences